Monday, June 09, 2008

#777 Obama O’Reilly

I think when people are hurt or afraid they tend to conflate all their fear factors into one ball of angst.
A while ago, I commented on some guys at my health club who had bundled higher gas prices, the mortgage crises, and levy rises all into one “they’re out to get me” paranoid scenario.
Reading the comments section of an article about the levy passing, I found two anti-levy complainers who advanced the same theory. The nebulous “they” were out to get them. And “they” were attacking through the pocketbook.
One guy said he might as well give up. The fix was in. They’ll just keep redoing it till they win, just like Gregoire.
I’m not sure if Dino Rossi wrote the comment or not.
Funny, since election weirdnesses left both Rightwing Rossi and Leftwing Gore on the sidelines, so it certainly looks to me like “they” can’t make up “their” minds who to screw.
But people hold onto their fears in spite of everything. And certain political strategists know that. A top Republican showed that the other day when asked about Obama.
He said something to the effect of, oh, once people figure out he wants to appease our enemies and raise taxes on average Americans he won’t last long.
I thought, wow. Hammering the power chords of fear. And all in a 4-second sound byte. This guy is good.
Like when they interviewed West Virginians after Hillary’s primary win. The three I saw may not have been indicative of the entire state but they were plenty scary.
One said she had voted for Hillary “cause of race. That race thing has been trouble.”
A guy said, “Cause he’s a Muslim. Them Muslims is out to kill all Americans and all we stand for.”
The third took it even one-step further. She said, “It’s cause his name is Hussein. We’ve had enough of Hussein.”
Where’s an elitist when you need one?
Presumably, she was referring to the Hussein that was a horrible dictator of Iraq who was recently, um, hanged like a dangling chad.
Like I say to my O’Reilly-infatuated dad, if there is a liberal media, it’s sure not doing a very good job.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: