Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1808 Bundle

I'm sick of bundling. Actually I'm just sick of the word bundling. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's like everybody and their business brother, from insurance to cable companies, are trying to entice you to buy their products with "bundling."
It's as if they're sticks of kindling. "Yeah Cletus, I bought a bundle of kindling at the store the other day. Lots easier to carry than them there loose pieces."
I suppose I'm still okay with a bundle of objects. A bundle of clothes, perhaps, or a bundle of newspapers. I'm even okay with bundling up when it's chilly. "Hey Billy, don't forget to bundle up so you won't catch cold."
But I have a problem with bundling up insurance coverages. Or cable, internet, and phone services. Whatever happened to the word "combine"?
"If you combine services we can get you a discount."
"Your combination package is 25% off."
Or if you need another word, why not "group." Sure a group discount sounds like you've brought in a lot of people. But you certainly don't want to bundle people either when you do need to give them a group discount.
And let's not forget, in the land of bundling, "groups" are no longer groups anyhow, they're "mobs." As in, "cash mob" and "crash mob" and "flash mob."
Lord knows we all need to bundle our thinking abilities and turn into a mob. Mob behavior is so to die for. Or be killed for if you're Frankenstein.
You could say "conglomerate" if you like. Though it too sounds a little weird. Like clot or coagulate.
But bundle has a worse issue. When you hear it on the radio, it sounds an awful lot like bungle.
I remember it now...
"We are bungling our services at Washington Mutual..."
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: