Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1803 Adios

I like the way words sound. That may be why I'm such an inveterate pun perpetrator. Like the word inveterate. Doesn't it sound like you're without a vet? "I was going to take Fifi to the vet but her insurance didn't cover the one I liked, so I'm currently inveterate."
Not to mention inveterate sounds like invertebrate. So if you're inveterate it's like your incurably spineless.
Then there's kayak. A lovely word. But it sort of reminds me of hacking up a phlegm-ball. There's a similar sounding name for a festival in British Columbia, known as the Hyack Festival. I'm not sure why. Perhaps they have a lot of Flemish people.
I went on a little kayak adventure recently. The low tide odor did congest me a bit. So I kayaked a few off the side. My personal kayak was pretty sleek. Slipped right through the water, slick as snot.
It was a custom kayak, made in Selma, Alabama of all places. So I guess you could say it was a Selma Kayak.
Speaking of folks from Mexico, I've always wondered something. Most folks know that the way you say goodbye in Mexico is "adios." It's probably the one Spanish word everyone can say.
But it doesn't mean goodbye as such. It's more of a blessing. It means "to god." Apparently, in the old days, things were pretty harsh so any departure may be your last. So it's kind of like a mini-last rites thing.
Then there's the other way Hispanic folks say goodbye, vaya con dios, or go with god. So it brings up the question. How does a Mexican atheist say goodbye?
As I'm an inveterate worrier it really bugged me. Fortunately my friend Bobby had the answer.
Aloha.
It works for everything.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: