Wednesday, May 23, 2012

1746 Pocket Guffer

Some terms I never come to terms with. Like where did the word pocketbook come from? It's used today to refer to any purse-like accessory but at some point it must have been a certain type. I'm guessing it wasn't just a bag with one opening.
Probably more like a man's wallet, with a definite fold that one could then unfold. The unfolding would mimic the action we undertake when we open a book. I have a little problem with that. One page does not a book make, nor just a cover.
Because when you open up the unfolding type pocketbook there's nothing to turn inside that even vaguely resembles a page. There are, however, pockets, with snaps and zippers and slots for credit cards and what not. But there are not pages of pockets.
So we have a group of pockets that we folded into a book-like cover. Voila, pocketbook. I suppose it's a very efficient name, even if it foolishly ignores certain literal meanings.
Then there's the word "guff." As in, "Don't give me any guff." Or the more problematic, "Don't hand me any guff." It's a word of uncertain origin. Etymology folks say it must have arisen imitatively. Since it means foolish talk or nonsense, I'm not sure what the word is it’s imitating. Maybe an empty puff of air. So how does one hand one a puff of air? Even so, imitatingly it could have been fluff or luff or huff. Strike that. It couldn't be huff because people don't give huff, they go off in a huff.
Maybe it's a short form of "guffaw," another imitative word indicating laughter.
As in, "I guffawed when I looked at her silly purse.
She gave me some guff back about it being a pocketbook."
America, ya gotta love it.


No comments: