Thursday, April 05, 2012

1712 Couched Meaning

The other day I saw an article of furniture and I referred to it as a davenport. A person nearby said that no, since it wasn't convertible to a bed it was actually a couch. That got me thinking. I have this theory that the more uncomfortable we are with a word or a concept the more euphemisms we have for it. Think of how many words we having for the concept of procreation¾excuse me¾“making love.”
Flying in the face of this theory is the amazing number of words we have for couches and their ilk. There's couch, of course, and sofa. But there's also divan, davenport, chesterfield, and settee. Then there are the derivatives, like bench, settle, lounge, chaise longue, daybed, loveseat, and ottoman.
What's interesting to me is how many of them are also words for something else. Like couch. You can plop down on a couch, or you can couch your words in gentle phrases. You can sit on a settle or you can settle for sitting.
A davenport is either a sofa that can convert to a bed, or a small compact writing desk. A divan is a couch or a word for council chambers. I believe it's also a way to cook chicken. Possibly since you can sit on a couch while it bakes in the oven.
A sofa was once a word for a raised carpeted floor area festooned with pillows. A chesterfield is even odder. It’s a davenport with armrests...or an overcoat. Quite confusing.
As a kid, I learned the coat meaning first. So when I went to the neighbor's house and they told me to sit on the chesterfield, they were quite dismayed later when they found me in the closet.
I, at least, am uncomfortable with the word chesterfield.
America ya gotta love it.

No comments: