Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1576 Bull Tweet

So occasionally, you encounter words or phrases that seem a little odd. Like not long ago I was talking to an individual about a new pet they had acquired. It was a labradoodle.
As you might imagine, my mind worked furiously to incorporate that name into the proper mental filing category. Because to me it didn't sound like a dog. It sounded like a fancy cookie. You know, like a snickerdoodle.
Or possibly it sounds like a highly stylized chunk of doggie doo.
"Oh dear Maebelle, I appear to have stepped in a labradoodle."
"I hate it when they doodle on the sidewalk like that, but seeing your consternation, it does make one want to snicker."
I heard another phrase I'm not sure I want to accept. A story in the news recently reported how Beyonce's Bump at the Video Music Awards fomented a twitter storm. Now I guess I'm getting okay with "twitter storm." Although the words "twitter" and "storm" seem like such opposites. Like a whispering hurricane, or a mime with a bullhorn.
But the news story went on to say that Beyonce's Bump caused about 8,868 Tweets Per Second, breaking the earlier record of 7,196 Tweets Per Second established by the US Women's soccer team competing against Japan recently.
I'm sorry, I'm not ready for Tweets Per Second to be a new measure of anything. Miles per hour I can handle, Miles per gallon, or even 186,282 miles per second being the speed of light. But Tweets Per Second?
What is that, the Speed of drivel?
BTW, when I see someone tweeting it reminds me of the mindless compulsive scribbling we teenagers used to do on brown paper book covers.
We called it doodling.
Draw your own conclusions.
America, ya gotta love it.

2 comments:

Maebelle B said...

Another moment of fame!!!!

Funny Guy on the Prowl said...

I even fixed the spelling!