Thursday, September 08, 2011

1573 Noodling

Where in the World is Muammar Gaddafi? Those were the words on everyone's lips not long ago, as the ex-ruler of Libya fled from Tripoli. Did I mention the destruction was so bad in Tripoli they were calling it Double-y?
It was cool how people instantly conflated "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?" with "Where's Waldo?" And they agreed the first thing to look for was Muammar dressed in a red-and-white-striped Dashiki.
It would fit in perfectly with Muammar fashion choices up to this point.
By the wayis that Dashiki or Burnoose? I get confused.
The real names of things have always fascinated me. Like what do you call those impossible-to-rip plastic stickers with which they weld folding direct mail pieces together so it doesn't jamb the postal sorting machines? I always end up ripping the paper when I try to unfold it. Or getting a paper cut.
"Little-round-sticky-disks" is too long a name. What are they?
That's why I love Google. I typed in "postal sealing dots" and up comes the answer. They're called "Postal Tabs" or, even better, "Wafer Seals."
I like "Wafer Seals." Sounds like the artificial white stuff that glues the two halves of an Oreo cookie together. Or an exotic marine mammal with a taste for sea biscuits.
Another question: What is the official name for those blowing wiggling noodle men you see at Jiffy Lubes? The nylon air contortionists that can fascinate a stoner for hours.
Google again. I typed in "nylon noodle blowup advertising man" and got "Air Dancers."
Perfect! That’s what they remind me ofherky-jerky hippie air guitar players. Air Dancers. I can picture the guy who must have invented them.
Probably wearing a god-awful hemp Dashiki reeking of burnt hay.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: