Wednesday, September 07, 2011

1572 LMN Tree

Sometimes it helps to see things through new eyes. We get blasé about our daily regularities and it takes a new person coming into the scene to see things differently. I once did a little TV thing where I pointed out inconsistencies in Roadside Signs. I remember when my Sister and Brother-in-Law came to visit and first saw Boulevard Road.
"Do you also have an Avenue Street?" They asked.
I had never noticed how odd Boulevard Road was. Of Course at the time, I lived on Cul-de-Sac Court.
Sometimes those fresh eyes are the eyes of a child. Kids are so accepting. They're capable of having a role model and hero be something as bizarre as an animated sponge. Good for household cleanup chores I guess, but weird nonetheless.
You wonder what Sponge Bob Square Pants will be when he grows up. Maybe a lawyer specializing in cleaning up and sealing people's records. Expunge Bob Square Pants perhaps.
Or when I saw some kids singing the ABCs not long ago. They mushed things together as they do. But the kids were also singing along to pictures of letters and this one kid had a quizzical look on his face. When I asked him what was bothering him, he said, "Which letter is ellemeno." He said he didn't see any characters that looked like shoes.
Apparently, his mom was really into fashion footwear.
Another kid had a similar problem. I think his confusion came from his class recently getting a geography lesson about the republics of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Pakistan. Not long after, he had said the Pledge of Allegiance. He wondered about the line,"...and to the Republic, for, etc."
"Where in the world is Whichistan?" He asked.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: