Thursday, August 11, 2011

1553 Producted

I was at an event and a woman there claimed she looked like a store mannequin because she had too much product in her hair.
Should you say mannequin anymore?
Isn't it womannequin? Or personnequin?
But the word I flashed on was "product". A generic term has become a specific term. Or vice versa. The product of production is a product to be sure. It always has been. But now hair "product," of which there are many, don't go by their specific appellations, like gel and mousse and shampoo and conditioner. They're now known generically as "product."
I guess I understand the energy-saving use of the word. A stylist-beautician-barber can't be going around all the time saying do you want some mousse or gel or styling spray or conditioner or shampoo or conditioning shampoo? But it seems lazy. If you want to make some money selling "product" you have to do the work—identify your customer's needs, suggest a specific solution. Not, "Do you want some product or what?"
And there's the grammatical function as well. Hair product is the product of the product producer. But it's an investment or application in or on your hair itself. You're putting fluids on your hair to make a nice look. The look is the product. So now it's the product of product?
And it's got out of control. A person came up to me at another event, accidentally touched my hair, and said, "Oh, you've got product in it."
"No," I said, "That's hairspray. I buy it at the grocery store."
"No," she assured me, expert on hair that many females claim to be, "That's product."
And that got my dander up for some reason. A wild hair up my heiny. Is there a product for that?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: