Monday, August 08, 2011

1550 Over-Wordiness

It's funny sometimes how we have a certain mindset and turn out blinding ourselves to the larger picture. Like not long ago, I got a solicitation by mail for a new series of CDs coming out. And they said that "advanced pre-orders" were now being accepted.
Really? Does that mean I don't have to actually pre-order? I can just warn them that I'm thinking about pre-ordering soon. And isn't a pre-order always an order? Like a pre-recording is always really just a recording.
In the old days when I pre-recorded something I would be erasing the tape and preparing it for recording. I should pre-order an advance copy of a pre-recording. I'd be like a time traveler.
Not long after that, I saw a sign at a used car lot. It said, "Excess Surplus Inventory Liquidation." Um... Inventory liquidation is what every car dealer wants to do. Heck, what any sales person of any retail item wants to do. Like the famous "inventory reduction sale" it provokes a "Yeah, so what's new?" sort of response in my head.
But this is not just surplus inventory, it's excess surplus inventory. Because when you got excess surplus you have way, way too much extra added additional stuff.
If I were them, I'd start taking advance pre-orders on it.
The other funny mindset thing is a little deeper. A friend and I saw an unusual bird recently. It's called a Varied Thrush. It was pretty cool looking. The next day her cat had a bird in its paws. My friend was upset that it might be the unusual bird, but then settled down when she noticed it was just an ordinary sparrow.
My friend's not lacking in compassion. But a bird still died.
Still, we do have an excess surplus inventory of sparrows.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: