Tuesday, May 24, 2011

1501 Omeletade

Oftentimes what's old is good. Sometimes it needs changing. So sometimes, I'll say things like "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it." It captures a different attitude than "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it." More like throwing a bunch of tea into the harbor rather than paying taxes on it and still having it to drink.
Or maybe it's nice to be a little whimsical. Saying, "I'm the type of guy that if life hands me lemons, I make an omelet." Signaling that I can transcend misfortune, depression, and reality.
I also like to say, "If life presents you with a dilemma, make dilemmanade." Why not? Use the resources at your command to come up with a solution. And make sure that solution is both tart and sweet.
Sometimes new is not better. Change for the sake of change can be bad. There's a reason why the wheel ended up round. Let's not reinvent it every time we turn around.
So it is with the new water bottles. In their attempt to become more environmentally sensitive, plastic water bottle manufacturers have made them too darn thin. Oh, they're okay when they have water in them, but as you drink and the counter-pressure of the water is relieved, the bottle collapses in your hand.
Even the frailest grip crushes the bottle. Arthritic oldsters feel like the Incredible Hulk. You have adopt this prissy grip and hold the bottle by the bottom, balancing it like a fine china teacup, or risk crushing it like an egg and propelling a giant spurt over your mouth, neck and chest. It's even messier if the bottle is filled with lemonade.
So if life hands you a new bottle of lemonade, hand it back.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: