Monday, May 16, 2011

1495 The El Espiritu

We live in such a diverse world, and sometimes it presents challenges. Like not long ago I went to the website of a Christian broadcasting station. They had a little video on the site starring what I assume was their DJ morning crew.
The video was for a promotion at a local resort and started out with the male DJ grabbing a fake fish from the water. Oh no, I thought, they aren't going to try to tie in loaves and fishes to the abundance of food and fun one can have at this resort?
But no, not that at all, but something worse in a way. The female DJ commented on the lack of liveliness of the fish. The male DJ then said in a mock English accent, "He's not quite dead yet." Yep, straight from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" movie. One of the most sacrilegious films of all time.
So I had this vision of the DJ originally applying for the job. "Yeah I can do Top 40. And I can do Country. Christian you bet, I can do Christian. Christian Rock, Country Thumping Bible Belt or Modern Mountain Evangelical?"
No wonder he forgot about the Monty Python origin. Oh well, you gotta work. Help's keep your spirits up.
I recently heard another DJ radio challenge. DJs are often faced with tough choices regarding pronunciation. And problems with other languages. I heard this one announcer telling folks that a musical group was going to be at "...the El Corazon." Since the "El" in El Corazon means "the" it sounded like a particularly bad bilingual botch-up to me.
The The Corazon huh? Are The Los Lonely Boys playing there? Or The Los Lobos? I hear The The Edge is doing a lively guest set with them.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: