Wednesday, May 11, 2011

1492 Peepin' Fun

Easter season brings the opportunity to enjoy the myriad pleasures of Peeps. Peeps are fine as stand-alone treats. If you're not into spices, or heck, even flavor, Peeps are sure to please. As amorphous in taste as they are in shape, your only desire need be for the taste of sugar.
Essentially softer marshmallows with a vaguely animal look, it's fun to try Peeps in all the places you would use marshmallows. Like my friend's suggestion using your microwave and your Peeps.
Stick toothpicks in Peeps, microwave them two-by-two and create a game of Peep Jousting. Cool. I tried it but it didn’t work. My microwave must be too powerful. My Peep just kept swelling and swelling, like some sort of tumorous mass gone horribly out of control.
It swelled to the size of a grapefruit and I was afraid it would explode and plaster the inside of my microwave with Peep shrapnel. But no, 30 seconds past, the microwave turned off and the Peep collapsed into a flat, roughly circular, yellow and white mass that looked not unlike a hard fried egg.
Conundrum solved. It is the Peep chicken before the Peep egg.
Or make a Peep s'more. Just the thing for camping hunters. Then your s'more can look like you've bagged and killed an animal too. I thought I'd originated this great idea, then went to the internet and saw a jillion entries. One guy even has a name for Peep S'mores. He calls them S'meeps.
I like to use part of my Easter bunny as the chocolate portion of a S'meep. Have a whole Easter dessert that way.
But the most fun is the simplest. Poke 'em and roast 'em over the campfire. Like chickens on a spit. Peeps on a stick.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: