Friday, April 29, 2011

1484 Recartoning

I was looking at my egg carton the other day and I saw these words printed on the inside cover in bold type:
"If you want to recycle this carton we have some good news!"
Thinking there was now a place I could locally recycle the polystyrene carton, or better yet, I could put it in my mixed recyclable bin, I scrambled to read on.
The next line was a little disappointing. It said:
"Egg industry statistics show that an average household of four consumes the equivalent of 50 dozen eggs per year...that's less than 1.8 pounds of polystyrene per year."
So the good news is, the packaging doesn't weigh that much anyhow? Pardon me for not keeping my sunny side up, but my cynical side says that sounds like the implication is I might as well just throw it away.
"Only 1.8 pounds for a family of four a year, don't be obsessive dude, pitch it...who cares...it'll be over...easy..."
So naturally, egg-sited as I was, I did the math. 310 million folks in the US divided by four. That’s 77.5 Million families at 1.8 pounds a piece. That’s 139,500,000 pounds. At 2000 pounds per ton that’s 69,750 tons of un-recycled egg cartons headed for the landfill.
Now I was really fried. 70,000 tons? That's like 35,000 cars!
The egg carton had more good news. It said:
"Of course you don't have to store them all year...you can mail them to us anytime and we'll make sure the box and the cartons get recycled. Please ship to:..." and then it gave an address.
Translation. "Save your eggs cartons for a year and then pay to ship them to us you green wingnut!
If you want to break the egg carton waste cycle, you'll have to shell out."
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: