Wednesday, June 30, 2010

1280 Freefer

On the one hand, it was kind of annoying. But on the other hand it was kind of cool.
First, let me say I almost never read the inserts companies choose to include in the envelopes with their bills. That type of advertising annoys me more than ads attached to GMail.
But one happened to catch my eye the other day that was an amazing idea. Puget Sound Energy is taking energy conservation seriously. So seriously, they’ll pick up your old refrigerator for free, deliver it to the appropriate recycling location, for free, and give you 30 dollars cash, for free.
Back in the old days, we used to call the old refrigerator in the back of the restaurant where I worked the “reefer.” I guess we could call this deal the “freefer.” Or since they’re doing all three things. The “three-fer free-fer.”
What a fantastic idea. And how annoying that I’d already, like a good conservation-minded conscientious citizen, disposed of my old refrigerator a couple of years ago. That sucks.
Then again, I’d have been stupidly paying for the power it sucked that long too. I’d been that shortsighted for a couple of years before that. Like many people, I’d bought an energy-saving new refrigerator, then put the old refrigerator in the garage and kept running it anyway. It was the back-up refrigerator for the five extra gallons of mayo that I’d get at Costco. Or the giant fruit pie that wouldn’t fit in the main energy-efficient reefer in the kitchen.
So I ended up using the same old power from the old fridge and the power from the new one too. Not too smart.
But thanks to PSE you can be smarter.
Do the three-fer freefer.
Talk about a cool idea...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: