Thursday, June 10, 2010

1267 Star-Rocks

I was driving around on the Memorial Day holiday and I noticed some depressing things.
By the way, is it right to call Memorial Day a Holiday? I suppose if you go back to the original meaning of holiday, which was “holy day,” it’s perfectly appropriate. But if you take the current meaning of holiday—a day off to have some festive fun, not so much.
I can see Merry Christmas, but Merry Memorial Day?
Or a Memorial Day Sale. Seems inappropriate somehow. We are taking a special day off work to honor those who have fallen in the service of our country. And socks are 20% off too.
It reminds me of how much we do forget.
In any event, I drove by a convenience store and I noticed on their windows that they had a lot of posters from Rockstar, the Energy Drink. Seems like all soft drinks, Rockstar’s having to re-invent itself to get noticed. They now have a whole line of canned coffee drinks.
Now I’ve never really signed on to the idea of coffee from a can. The truth is, I’ve never liked cold or iced coffee. My mind just refuses to accept the notion of cold coffee as anything other than the dregs left in the cup.
It’s like cold soup. Or cold oatmeal. Perfectly edible, to be sure, but not what you’d call appetizing.
Rockstar has taken cold coffee to a whole new level. “Rockstar Roasted,” they say, has “coffee and energy.” It’s available in Mocha, Latte, and Light Vanilla Flavors.
Coffee and energy? Doesn’t most of the energy in Rockstar come from caffeine?
Things are worse than I thought. The world must be really depressing, if they’re adding caffeine to coffee.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: