Tuesday, March 30, 2010

#1215 Grenade Grinder

We dumb sometimes.
That’s my summary of the human race. Seems we all have our little blind spots. Whether through arrogance or inattention or being fogged by certain drugs, we just make stupid mistakes.
Take the hapless individual recently at the Yakima airport. Seems security screeners thought a shape in his baggage looked like a hand grenade. The young man was detained and kept off his flight. Military bomb experts were called in.
The shape appeared to be not a bomb after all. It was a marijuana grinder. But it did contain residue that, according to authorities, appeared to be marijuana. The man was detained further on drug charges.
Well at least he won’t get sent to Guantanamo. Unless they think he “appeared” to be trying to blow up the plane with happy smoke.
But this is so sad. What was he thinking? These days I never pack things in my luggage that look like hand grenades. Tah tah to those Leggs pantyhose gifts to my sister. And I certainly wouldn’t pack a pineapple.
And really, what were the pot paraphernalia people thinking? Make a ganja grinder that looks like a hand grenade? Don’t they assume addle-headed pot smokers travel? Do they make a bong that looks like a handgun?
I can see why the police say so often: “Thank goodness most criminals are so stupid.”
But regular people are a little light in the attentiveness too. Got a circular the other day that was sent out by a “Real Estate Professional.” And this person obviously forgot to check the right box in the automatic send-out selection form.
Because the circular said, “Daylight Savings Time is ending but... it’s always a good time to call me with any of your Real Estate needs.”
First off, It’s Daylight Saving Time not Daylight Savings Time. Secondly, it’s just now starting, not ending. And lastly, I don’t call people with my needs. I call people with my questions.
What I need is a real estate person with a better eye for detail and accuracy.
And maybe a free gift. A portable pepper grinder shaped like a grenade perhaps. “For all your travel needs...”
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: