Thursday, February 04, 2010

#1178 Journally Pease

One of the coolest things about living in the 21st Century is the World Wide Web. And with it our favorite source for mostly right information.
No I’m not talking about Fox News. I’m talking about mostly right as in mostly correct.
That source would be Wikipedia. I find myself using it every now and then to check dubious artifacts from my youth.
Here’s why. I once had a very close relative who used the term “journally.” They used it consistently and confidently and in no way gave the indication that it was anything other than appropriate. The occasions when this person used it were when other people would use the term “generally” but I never consciously noticed that.
If I thought about it at all, it was that it sounded okay because you have journals. You put things in journals, often regular general things, and there are journalists who report on general news.
I heard it from such a young age; it was firmly ensconced in my lexicon. That is, until college, when for the first time I questioned it and looked it up.
There is no such word.
The word this person should have been using was indeed “generally.”
The “journally” debacle is now part of one of my journals.
But here’s what’s cool about Wikipedia. The other day I had a flashback on a chant we did as kids. We would say pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, pease porridge in the pot nine days old.
So I wondered. Is there such a thing as pease? One word p-e-a-s-e- pease? Well, low and behold, thanks to our wiki friends, I found out there was indeed something called pease. Pease is a mass noun like oatmeal. Pease porridge is made of split yellow individual peas and spices and is similar to hummus.
It was often cooked with bacon or a ham joint so it’s not that different from today’s split pea soup, but it was baked, mushier, and thicker.
And apparently, at least according to the nursery rhyme, had a pull date journally exceeding 9 days.
Yum.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: