Wednesday, February 03, 2010

#1177 Mid Tan Match

A few different observations today. I’m always interested in how people market their businesses. And how in stressful business times a great strategy is to offer something new or different.
So the other day I’m driving around and I go by this Mid-wife place and it occurs to me: If you are a male practitioner of mid-wifery are you a mid-husband?
Does the wife in mid-wife refer to the person actually birthing the child or the person facilitating the enterprise?
Mid-husband…could be a new marketing opportunity.
Like the tanning place I went by not long after. They had this sign on the top of their main sign. It said, “UV Teeth Whitening.” What a great idea. I’ve seen dentists advertise UV Teeth Whitening. Why not do the same thing at a tanning parlor? You got all the UV tubes right there.
And you could do it two ways. You could have people who are tanning already open their mouth. Or people could lay down fully clothed and you could just tell them to smile.
Might get a little hot in the old bed but hey, maybe they could wear one of those nylon sweatsuits and cook off a pound or two. Tanning, teeth whitening, and water weight removal¾the trifecta of low-effort toning up for a cruise.
The other cool thing about tanning place teeth whitening is when you have whiter teeth you look like you have a deeper tan and vice versa. You’re gonna get double the results.
After I had gone by the tanning place, I heard an ad on the radio. Some place was trying to increase their market position by “matching” prices. “We will match the price of any competitor!”
So, really, if I’m at the competitor and I remember that this place will match the price, is it likely I’ll go all the way across town for a match? I may as well save the gas and just buy it where I am.
Like if I’m already lying in a tanning bed, I might as well save a trip to the dentist and just flash my soon-to-be pearly whites.
Now that’s something to grin about...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: