Monday, November 16, 2009

#1132 Fugitive Mound

When I do these essays, I often just start with a word. And then I riff on it. So it is with a word I heard the other day. Or I should say a phrase.
A friend of mine is doing an environmental assessment and in the process came across the designation “fugitive refrigerants.” These are gasses used in the process of cooling or refrigerating things which escape from their appointed tubes and stuff. At which point they emerge into the atmosphere and reek environmental havoc.
Watch out kids, it’s the fugitive refrigerant...
It’s one of those kooky terms that has such possibilities.
“Tune in on Wednesday nights for the case of ‘The Fugitive Refrigerant.’ Pursued by a one-armed refrigerator repairman, the Fugitive Refrigerant seek to clear his name and his tubes. It’s a dramatic tale of gas on the lamb. (And it doesn’t involve feeding a lamb beans.) Yes, it’s Freon that really shouldn’t be free. The Fugitive Refrigerant.
So… I’m steering clear of a brutal segue as I’m driving south of here the other day, and I happened to drive through the grand town of Grand Mound. Which naturally made me wonder a couple of things. Is there actually a large heap nestled somewhere in town, the eponymous grand mound for which the town is named?
I know it has something to do with the Mima Mounds nearby. Was this “Grand Mound” the largest of them? I hope. Because really, it’s not a very inspiring name for a town. Naming it after what is essentially a pile of dirt. “Yeah I was driving through Littlerock and the next town was Grand Mound. Just a bump in the road actually...”
No worse than the town of Little Rock I suppose.
But still, Mound? It just doesn’t lead one to aspire to greatness. And if it’s grand, it sort of implies there are lesser mounds about. Is anyone from “Ordinary Mound?”
And do they have a radio station? I could suggest one. On the Southside it’s the great sound of Grand Mound.
The South Mound’s Station. 94.5 Roxy
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: