Tuesday, April 21, 2009

#993 Superbad Investments

I wonder about investing in today’s economy. I’ve never been a real savvy investor. At one time I was told the best way to invest was to have a portfolio that was diversified. So I invested in stocks and real estate.
Who’d have thought they’d both tank at the same time.
Just my luck. Another super bad investment strategy from the guy who lost a lot of money investing in the Superbad franchise. Not the one with Seth Rogen. The one from the seventies with big glasses and large masses of curly hair.
It was a direct marketing derivative of the Superfly movement. They had hair products that were supposed to make you superbad. They had one that made your big bubble of kinky permed hair “look sexier.” It was a mousse called afro-disiac.
Sales were surprisingly flat.
I also invested a lot of money in a technology I was sure would stick around because they were so simple and wearable—beepers.
I’m not sure if cellphones killed beepers or fashion killed beepers. I remember when kids first started wearing super baggy pants they had involuntary exposure problems when they added the weight of a beeper. Too bad, beepers are ideal platforms for the philosophy behind twittering.
They’ve gone the way of typewriters I guess. Once the leading edge of cool technology, now supplemented by multi-purpose phone devices. There’s probably a beeper “app” you can get.
Some supposedly bright investors are talking now about getting the FCC to lift regulations on newspaper and radio cross-ownership. I don’t know. Do we want newspapers to own radio? Have they done a very good job keeping newspapers up with the times and technology? HD Radio I get. HD Newspaper?
More importantly, do we want Rupert Murdoch to control every media outlet in the world?
Finally, is now a good time to invest in nail shops? There are getting to be more nail spas than Starbucks. And amazingly, even with these tough economic times, they’re still full to the rafters with fumes and recumbent women.
I guess if you want to cling desperately to that one last luxury, there’s nothing like investing in strong nails...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: