Wednesday, April 08, 2009

#984 Fashion Applications

The wheel of fashion slowly turns. I noticed something the other day. All the younger lads are now wearing tight pants. That’s right, the baggy saggy look is finally gone. The oversize, voluminous, fall-down-around-your-knees look proved amazingly persistent but it’s on its way out.
Maybe it’s the economy. All that extra fabric costs lots of money.
I just know I’m gonna a be a lot more comfortable. Now that loose is out of style I can wear it.
One reason baggy pants may have fallen off in sales is that things were always falling out of their pockets. Really expensive things, like iPhones. Tight jeans hold stuff in.
I recently watched a couple of young folks comparing their iPhone apps and it was truly amazing. I mentioned to them that I’d heard of an app that’s just for filtering apps. It tells you when an app goes on sale or becomes free or even if there is a free version of an app you’re currently using.
One of the guys had found himself trying to make a connection in our transit system and thought it would be great to have an app for retrieving local transit info online. I told him if it was a good idea, someone had already thought of it.
Yep. He searched the app store and found ones for Seattle and New York and Portland. “But it costs so much,” he said. And then a split second later “but here’s a free version!”
“See,” I said, “if you had the app-filtering app you would have save all those microseconds.”
“By the way,” I continued, “It’s kind of dark in here.”
“There’s an app for that” the other guy said, “The flashlight app makes your touchscreen into a bright white light.”
“They should have an app that makes a picture of a lit lighter you could hold up at concerts,” I joked.
“There’s an app for that!” the other exclaimed, “I got it.”
I must have look bleary-eyed. One of the young guys asked, “Is all this app talk wearing you down? You look tired.”
“That’s okay,” I said. “If I get too tired, there’s a nap for that.”
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: