Thursday, February 19, 2009

#950 Economy Meal

There’s an interesting side to the economy melting down like hot cheese. Paradoxically, the one company to benefit for America’s belt tightening is the company most often accused of being responsible for lots of its belt loosening, McDonalds.
The originator of the happy meal is helping keep America happy about its food finances. As more and more people look for ways to save, or at least get a break on their busting budgets, the “you deserve a break today” people are definitely saying “I’m lovin’ it.”
Word on the street is that McDonalds intends to spend 2.1 billion dollars to open new locations worldwide and spruce up old ones this year. I’m guessing they might be able to pick up certain well-situated urban properties cheap.
Namely, those recently closed down by Starbucks.
Whether the economy did in Starbucks or people had already decided that 3 to 5 bucks was too much to pay for a cup of coffee, the premium coffee purveyor is losing profits like a leaky latte cup.
I like good coffee as much as the next person, but when times are tough I’ll feed my gut before I’ll treat my palate. And even with loading in the cream and vanilla sprinkles at the condiment area, there’s not enough calories in a macchiato to make my day.
Give me the 99 cent menu at McD’s and watch me macchiato my tummy grande vente with no room.
Still, this is bound to lead to all sorts of supersize me issues. Mickey D’s has never been the friend to benefit us most when it comes to health. Heart-busting fat and grease, diabetes-triggering white bread starch buns.
But it is nice to know one American company is still doing well. And an iconic one at that. As General Motors wallows in the pit of its own bad business decisions, it’s good to see a little bit of golden lining on the dark cloud of our economy.
And it appears to be in the shape of arches.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: