Thursday, February 12, 2009

#945 Simple Food Wings

Well the Superbowl has come and gone, and with it one of the great advertising and merchandising opportunities of the year. The biggest takeaway I had this year was that Kentucky Fried Chicken is the “Official Wing Sponsor of the NFL.”
I imagine the competition was fierce.
You wonder though, with their supposedly Famous KFC Bowls, that they didn’t try for the coveted Bowl Sponsor of the Super Bowl. You also have to wonder if there was an official thigh or breast competition. KFC, the official leg sponsor of the NFL.
Think they went head to head with McDonalds for the official nugget sponsorship?
By they way, if you read the fine print in their ads, they’re not really wings. The disclaimer says they’re wing pieces. How did the legal beagles arrive at that? All portions of chickens are pieces. Is there an official assemblage of parts known legally as a wing? Only from joint to overly cartilaginous chewy tip? Any sectioning or skinning due to inedibility, making the item ineligible for the designation wing?
Speaking of simple foods. There’s these guys who have a cooking show called Two Dudes One Pan. They teach simple, flavorful cooking and according to them, they do so by not spending a fortune and not using obscure ingredients. I just found one of their recipes for Sake-Soy skillet-seared sea bass.
Since I have a skillet I was interested.
Here’s the list of the supposedly non-obscure ingredients they call for in the marinade. By the way, a marinade just took it off my simple cooking list. Anything that has to soak for 4 hours already crossed my preparation time threshold.
Be that as it may, the ingredients are Mirin rice wine, sake, soy sauce, lemon grass, shallots, kosher salt, garlic, and grapeseed oil. Eight ingredients. I have two of them. Garlic and soy.
Grapeseed oil? Maybe I don’t understand the meaning of the word non-obscure.
Doesn’t matter anyway, I’ve never even seen sea bass in the simple convenience store where I often shop.
I’m guessing it doesn’t go good with jo’s and hot wings.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: