Saturday, April 05, 2008

#733 E-van-escent

I go to websites to see the previous night’s performances by late night comedians. I can’t possibly stay up that late these days, I think I totally burned out that end of the candle in my youth.
Still, I like hearing jokes written and delivered by professionals. I also like to watch the late night hosts so I know what jokes to avoid in my own essays.
The purpose in my pieces is to plumb the depths of the society’s aberrations other humorists ignore. Probing the little cultural crannies for dusty neglected nuggets of humor.
One of which is the mini-cyber commercial.
When you go to these late night show’s websites to click on a snippet of video you don’t get it for free. You are obligated to watch a small commercial first, before that video can be viewed.
You can’t fast forward through it or skip it altogether, like the movie previews on a DVD. You can’t even go away for thirty seconds and come back because these commercials are not bound by the time constraints by which commercials on the airwaves are bound. So there are no easy increments of 15, 30, or 60 seconds where you can find something else to do.
I saw one the other day that nagged at me. It was a commercial for a van. The Honda Odyssey van as it turned out.
I always thought that was a bad name for a vehicle. After all, at least in the version by Homer I waded through, the Odyssey was actually a bad trip. I mean, unless having your fellow travelers turned to pigs is your idea of family fun.
Anyhow, the name of the background song playing in the Honda van commercial was too evanescent for my brittle old brain to grasp. I’d almost have it, then, like a greased pig, it would slip away. It was vaguely Led Zeppelin-esque. Finally, it came to me. It was a song from the Seattle group Heart.
The name of the song is Barracuda.
Which, someone should probably point out to Honda, was a Chrysler product.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: