Monday, October 29, 2007

#629 Jacked Up Vibe

I was driving behind a Pontiac “Vibe” the other day and I thought, does anyone actually say the word “vibe” anymore? And naming a car after the word?
It’s like when adults try to be hip to teenagers.
Hey young man. um, word up, or is it cowboy up, anyhow, you young fellers look mighty, um, bad, with those grill-thingies on your teeth. Yo. I’m think I’m going to pimp my Vibe. Do I use some forties? Are those the big wheels you hip cats are always knocking back?
You know what I mean. Kids always look at adults like that with that unnerving penetrating totally cold stare.
At least so I’m told.
I suppose a Vibe is better than an El Camino though. One of my good friends characterized the El Camino as the mullet of cars.
I like that. Broadening the mullet into an actual taste category. Kind of raises the white trash thing to true cultural status. Could inspire a TV show. Yeah, The Three Mullet-teers.
They could roam around the badly-paved backstreets, the sections of town that still lack sidewalks and have lots of junkyards and repo lots, and fight crime and stuff. And they’d be driving their festively-primered, jacked-up-in-the-rear-end El Camino.
They’re jacked up to prevent littering fines, you know. All the empty beer cans roll toward the front instead of out the tailgate net.
Cars do seem to be cultural reads on the people driving them these days. An extension, one supposes of their personality.
I read some conservative columnist the other day bemoaning some other person’s bumper sticker. The bumper sticker could have been taken two ways but the columnist assumed the reading of it was liberal because the person was driving a Prius.
Apparently Prius-es can only be owned by tree-hugger types.
Wow. Cars are politics.
Funny, in that same business publication was a big article on how to reap the benefits of “green” building.
Finally, the building industry had found way to embrace environmentalism. Cause green is the color of money...
Now that’s a good vibe...
America, ya gotta love it

No comments: