Monday, October 01, 2007

#607 Quasi-Moved

So I haven’t written for a week. I’ve been moving.
It’s been kind of weird, because instead of moving to a new place I’m moving back in to a place I lived in before. And I lived there for about ten years.
That means some things are different and some things are the same. My body keeps wanting to remember things and reality hasn’t entirely caught up.
When I lived in this place before, I had a clock on a certain area of a certain wall. So now, whenever I want to check the time, I automatically check that spot on the wall.
The funny thing is, in the last place I moved to, and hadn’t lived in for the previous ten years because I was in the house I just now moved back to, I had the same clock on a wall over there and went through the same automatic habitual checking thing.
Maybe it’s time to throw away the clock. If only because I won’t have to write another confusing sentence like that last one.
But it’s interesting what the body remembers. I find I can wander around in the dark just fine and still be able to find the light switches exactly where they are. Some of the light switches are in banks of three too.
And I can pick out the right switch in the bank without checking.
Kinesthetic memory, I think they call it. It kind of amazes me. Your body remembers. I’ve been typing for 40 years and I still hunt and peck.
But light switches in the dark? No problem.
One trick to remember when you’re moving around in the dark right after you moved. Watch out for random boxes. My light switch hands may be downright clairvoyant but my bruised shins are blind as can be.
Then again, I find myself circling around certain areas because a piece of furniture used to be there.
My shins totally remember the occasional table that occasionally had an edge like a knife. Or the ottoman that occupied its own empire in the family room.
Shin-esthetic memory I think they call that.
For things that don’t go bump in the night.
America, ya gotta love it

No comments: