Monday, September 17, 2007

#602 Question Wonder

So I admit, I wonder about the weirdest things.
The other day I went by an establishment that apparently catered to Chinese folk. There was one of those pictogram things on the window—one big Chinese character, presumably a letter of some sort. I’m told that Chinese has over 3000 of them.
You think learning your ABCs was hard.
Anyhow, this character-pictograph-Chinese-letter thing was drawn on the window in a blocky manner and it made me ask myself, do Chinese letters have fonts?
I mean, the story is, each delicate swirl and nuance changes the meaning of a character, so wouldn’t changing from, say, New Times Roman to Copperplate Gothic change the meaning too?
Just wondering.
Or the other day, I was in a meeting and this guy was introducing someone else. He was singing his praises and listing his accomplishments and then he said the other guy used to be a former pilot.
So I wonder, if he used to be a former pilot, does that mean he’s flying again?
We were driving out in the country and I saw one of those roadside signs on the side of the road. This one appeared to be from some hunter type that either wanted to be in the sheep raising business or possibly just had a hankering for lamb rather than all the venison he seemed to have on hand.
His sign said, “Buy Sheep, Sell Deer.”
I wonder if this hunter is related to my Jewish uncle in some way.
I hate it when people spoil books. Especially the new Harry Potter. I hear there are some big surprises in it.
One guy told me, before I had a chance to plug my ears and go nah nah nah nah, that the most surprising part was when Harry started dueling with some wizard who claimed to be the descendent of Mary Magdalene and Jesus.
That was right before Professor Gandalf, I mean Dumbledore, had Harry throw the ring of power into the cracks of doom in Mordor.
Made me wonder where J.K. Rowling gets all her original ideas...
America, ya gotta love it

No comments: