Thursday, March 15, 2007

#472 Sioux me

I was going through my blue coupon envelope the other day, wondering why anyone would think their ads would be effective nestled in among the ranks of pizza parlors, auto tune-up and direct TV distributors, and I chanced upon a national coupon for address labels. Those are the other two mainstays of the blue envelope many households refer to as “instant recycling,” address labels and privately printed checks. So I had to ask myself, why would anyone want to buy address labels when they come for free. There is not a year goes by without at least three charity organizations sending me address labels—completely unasked for. Now first, let me say I am a charitable person. I give a lot to various groups throughout the year, from international organizations to local carwashes. I also volunteer heaps of hands-on human hours to the common pool of need. But I’m not a big fan of extortion, even mild extortion, especially when it’s tied to a heartfelt and emotionally blackmailing message. And particularly when they give you something out of the supposed goodness of their heart with one hand, and then stick out the other hand in expectation of a payback. So when the Lakota Indian reservation sends me not only address labels, but a dream catcher that actually looks pretty nice, with real feathers and leather and all, and then wants a contribution back, my defenses go up. Not because I think it’s an ironic spin on that whole Indian giver myth—after all, when it comes to land stealing, treaty breaking and land stealing back, “Euro-giver” is more like it. It’s because I’m pretty sure that to send out a mass mailing of these dream catcher things they must be made by the Lakota Sioux’s distant cousins in China. And bought and paid for from same. I hope they catch their dream. And soon. According to the letter, their kids are starving. Call me cynical but if I were them, instead of sending out address labels and toy dream catchers to complete strangers, I’d save the mass manufacture and mailing money and either spend it directly on the kids, or plant some wheat.
America, ya gotta love it

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've seen advertisements for address labels and i bought some one time and now i wonder why i did. i too am getting constantly bombarded by chairty orginizations all the time and the send me address labels all the in hopes that i would send them a tax deductable contribution. don't get me wrong, i have my charitys that i support, but i'm not going to send money to everybody that comes looking to me for a hand out. whats even worse is when they call me onthe phone to ask me if its ok to send me the paperwork to make a donation. thank god for caller i.d.