Friday, March 09, 2007

#468 Duller, Eh

So I noticed a couple of other things while I was in Canada. Well, okay, Victoria. Certainly no reason to assume all of Canada is like one small region. I mean, I don’t always assume an entire carton of white milk is white. Can you say homogenous? I was at a meeting, and I almost missed what I was supposed to do because the announcer was Canadian and he was telling us that on this form we were supposed to shed-yule our proe-gress on the proe-ject. Then he said something about having a-boat an hour and getting oat afterwards. I was all for that, I mean, I’d ridden a boat over to Canada and I got oat nuggets for breakfast. Fiber is just as important in Canadia as it is here. I changed my currency at a professional currency changing place. The American dollar is now equivalent to a dollar and eight cents in Canadian money. Unfortunately, the current sea of debt from the don’t-tax-and-spend-anyhow fiscal policy of the last few years has driven the American dollar under the waves of foreign current seas. The clerk at the exchange desk wasn’t above having a little fun though. Talk about a boring and unfulfilling job. Making change all day without selling anything. When I told him I wanted Canadian dollars he said are you sure, I have a special on Yen today. I said that’s good I have a hankering for yen and then in chorus we both said “or a yen for hankering…” When I got back after my trip I realized I had a pocketful of loonies and two-nies. They have one-dollar coins like brassy-looking oversized quarters with a pictures of loons on them. They have a two dollar coin too which is slightly bigger. And has one colored disc of metal set into another colored disc. In fact, a two dollar Canadian coin looks an awful lot like a denomination of a Mexican peso. It’s pretty scary when you can mint a coin and have it cost less than printing a paper slip. But today’s paper money is so loaded with security devices, implanted data, holograms, and chips, I’m surprised it doesn’t spend itself. Still, currency is only as good as the people who take it. On the way over, the Black Ball ferry clerk at the coffee shop waved away my Canadian quarters contemptuously. Which was a little odd, as the flag of the country of registry the Black Ball ferry flies is Canada. I looked at my Canadian 20 dollar bill for the first time carefully after I got back to the states. Cool! It has a picture on it of that lady who won the Oscars. Helen Mirren. Must be a Canadian actress of high repute. She’s made a lot of proe-gress. Finally humor is universal. I was a little worried. I wasn’t sure if my humor would convert to metric. We were at a specialty tea parlor and they had a variety called Library tea. I asked the clerk if it was easier to use Library tea to read fortunes. She groaned exactly as much as an American.
America, ya gotta love it

No comments: