Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1417 Dropped Email

I was reading a publication the other day, American Heritage if it matters, and I came upon an interesting phrase. It was made more interesting by the fact that it was written by the publisher of said staid journal. A man who, presumably, was on the erudite side of the coin of knowledge and no slackard when it came to the appropriate uses of language. He was referring to feedback from readers and he wrote, “If you have any ideas, drop me an email sometime.”
While I certainly embrace the notion that even a history magazine publisher should be up on current communication technology, I can’t help wonder if “drop me an email” is the correct communicative construction.
One could certainly drop someone a line in the old days. I could also understand the construct “drop me a letter,” as that’s what folks historically did—dropped letters into mailboxes, which were then retrieved by the postal service, transported, and dropped into recipients’ mailboxes.
But one does not “drop” anything when one sends an email. So “send me an email” would have been the correct way to convey the concept. If he really needed a more actively physical illustration, at the very least he could have said “punch me out an email,” referring to the actions one exerts on keyboard keys.
But “send me an email” would have been sufficient. Unfortunately, “drop me a line” is about to enter that odd usage zone of other familiar constructs. Like people saying, “I’ll dial him up” when they are about to call someone else. Rotary dials are so 20th century.
Or when you want someone to call you, saying, “Give me a ring.”
Shouldn’t it now be “give me a ringtone”?
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: