Wednesday, July 07, 2010

1285 Working Dog

A new “day” is being foisted on the business world. Tired of the normal distractions, they’re proposing a “take-your-dog-to-work-day.”
Now, I love dogs. I love them so much I don’t have one, because it’d be too cruel with me never home. But is the already productivity-impaired American workplace really prepared for another day of disruption?
Casual Friday was bad enough. Study after study has shown people work less professionally when they look less professional. Then it was “take-your-daughter-to-work-day,” a praiseworthy attempt to expose females to the glass-ceilinged workplace. Then the backlash, “take-your-son-to-work-day.” Pretty soon the workplace was looking like a daycare center.
The “take-your-dog-to-work-day” folks are asking businesses to consider programs permitting employees to bring dogs in the workplace. They say, “Business should understand how beneficial such programs can be to employees and their canine companions, as well as the company bottom line. Studies have shown that employees who bring their dogs to work tend to be more efficient, happier and healthier in the workplace.”
No word on how customers feel.
Because they tend to be miffed.
Do I want to go to a restaurant where Fido’s nipping at my table scraps? Trip over Bowser while I’m shopping for boxers at the clothes store? Have Fifi growling at me when I’m talking to the undertaker?
And if we start with dogs what’s next? Bring your snake to work day? Soon the workplace is a daycare center and a menagerie.
That’s what I came to work to get away from at home!
I say no. The workplace is not home. They need to be separate. I don’t car how much happier my air traffic controller feels, I don’t want his Shih Tzu jumping out of his lap and crashing my plane.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: