Wednesday, September 09, 2009

#1091 Bit-o-Humor

I’ve run into some new fashions lately, and I’m not sure what to make of them.
First, I was at a Mariners game and I noticed that some of the players were wearing long pants. I mean really long. Like over the shoe flares. They looked sort of like the pants flamenco dancers wear. Whatever happened to the mid-calf show-some-striped-sock look? Well, some of the players had that too. I’m not sure optional dress is a good thing. Makes that whole uniform thing seem meaningless.
And is this a baggy-saggy or giant basketball shorts-like-dresses carryover? The pants were dragging pretty low. If they’re not careful they could trip over them when they’re trying to grab balls.
Speaking of changing fashions, I was up in Seattle visiting my son, who sells these beds that go for $10,000. It’s the bed so good, it does your sleeping for you. When we were discussing the internet he made the astute observation that one should be very careful about what one posts in any place, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, even comments on news and other websites.
Because what you put on will be there years later. Maybe when you are applying for a job, or dating someone new. Maybe you actually changed your mind about something you railed against, maybe using some fairly blue language in the process. The point is, think before you post. An internet posting is like a social tattoo. Get it right and put it where you want it.
Fashion even changes in food stamps. Not long ago, I wasn’t sure what this thing was when I heard about it on the radio. A pizza place was saying it now accepted E-B-T-. It turns out, as I’m sure you’re well ahead of me on this, that it’s an electronic way of doing food stamps. It stands for Electronic Benefit Transfer.
Which means you can go to a U-Bake pizza place and use it. But I’m sorry, E-B-T- actually sounds like a pregnancy test of some sort.
So the first thought that popped into my mind was, where do you hold the pizza to make the test work?
“Honey...My pizza has a plus on it, what does that mean?”
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: