Tuesday, May 26, 2009

#1017 Grilled Unthinking

So the other day I heard a young folk talking about un-friending another young folk on Facebook. I guess that’s what he said. I’m no expert on Facebook. I love myself, but such public narcissism seems a little much, even for me.
When I want to communicate with my friends, I do so directly. Everyone else? May I recommend the America Ya Gotta Love It blog for recent insights into my existence?
But it got me thinking. Can you un-friend someone? I recently wrote a commentary about defrocked priests so the word de-friend comes more readily to mind. I de-friended them. Sounds more like the opposite of befriended.
And un-friended sounds like this Kentucky Grilled Chicken ad I got recently. In the pile of circulars that always comes on spam-mail Tuesday there were four flimsy fliers for fast food places—Arby’s, Burger King, Jack in the Box, and KFC.
Funny. McDonalds, the number one fast food chain, only uses TV and, um, Radio.
In any event, KFC may have been a little misguided when it came to positioning their new ad with all those other fast food chains. Because the new KFC ad admonished us to “UnThink KFC.” Which was easy to do because there were three other fast food joints offering coupons. Arbys and Burger King, both with giant sandwiches dripping with cheese and bacon, and Jack in the thinking out of the Box with multiple mini-burgers.
KFC was promoting its new grilled chicken, attempting to rebrand themselves as a healthier grilled alternative. Or is that un-brand?
It’s the same price as their regular chicken but without the egg dip, breading, and fry grease. Shouldn’t it be less? They’re saving on all that crusty stuff.
Oddly, they still offer the traditional high-calorie sides of mashed potatoes, gravy, and biscuit, so I’m not sure just grilling the chicken is going to be healthy enough to counteract all their cardiac-clogging cholesterol and carbohydrates.
A little unthinking behavior on their part, if you ask me.
If I want to be healthy, grilled chicken and a side of broccoli might make the other fast food places unthinkable...
When I’m unthinking KFC.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: