Monday, September 29, 2008

#856 Thought Nugget

I sure will be glad when election season is over. Every pundit and his brother is giving me a pain. It was a sad day for our country when we decided we had to fill multiple 24 hour news channels with people in love with the sound of their own voices.
And when we encouraged these people to give us nothing but inflated opinions thinly disguised as fact.
I was going to be a pundit once. Then I discovered pundits were blowhards and not just people who were good at puns. Being good at puns is so much more satisfying.
So I was wondering: If they invented Hamburgers in Hamburg, Germany, and if they invented the Frankfurter in Frankfurt, what dish came out of Spitzbergen? Is that where the first berated waiter finally snapped and retaliated to a rude customer by hocking something into his meal?
This is where the pursuit of puns leads you.
So I heard about this annuity. It supposed to be some creative way to use your retirement money. Or possibly it’s just an annuity for inventive people. It’s called an “ingenuity.”
It’s part of a portfolio of annuities that are for specialized market segments. They even have one for Alaska sponsored government annuities for indigenous tribes. It’s called an Inuit-y.
So anyhow, forget punditry. When people ask, I’ve had trouble figuring out what to call these columns I do. So I heard a new description: Thought Nugget.
What do you think? I think it fits really well. They’re thoughts. But they’re more concrete than just random willy-nilly thoughts. They’ve had some time to come together into semi-solid bits of reasoning. But not so much research as to actually be a thesis or an essay.
Still, they’re chunky enough I can throw them out there and hit a target. I like it.
Your daily thought nugget from Funny Guy on the Prowl.
Which reminds me. Some people say my thought nuggets are like annuities for people who are incontinent.
They’ve got incontinuities.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: