Wednesday, September 17, 2008

#849 Narcissism Alert

So the other day I got a pleasant comment on one of my blogs that had been posted a long time ago. You never think of your blogs staying out there on the web forever and being new and fresh to a person just reading them for the first time, but it’s true.
One man’s old meat is another’s potential sausage I guess.
In any event, it got me looking through the rest of my blogs to see if there were any other comments I hadn’t seen.
Well there was one, from a guy named Roger Stone. Roger Stone had left his remark at the bottom of series of blogs. At first, it had me confused because the actual blog he left the comment on had nothing to do with his reply. I figured it out when I scrolled up through the whole month’s blogs posted in that archive and found the article about him at the top.
True to form, since he’s known for going to the bottom of the barrel, he went to the bottom of the blogs to reply. The comment was from the Roger Stone, famous Political Dirty Trickster, mudslinger, and smear-a-tician.
At first, a shiver of paranoia went down my spine. How had the famous Roger Stone noticed little old America Ya Gotta Love It Funny Guy on the Prowl?
And then I realized—Google Alerts. It’s why every time I write an article with Newt Gingrich in it I get an email from his minions. Google Alerts, that quintessentially 21st Century technological combination of paranoia and narcissism.
Some would argue that paranoia is always narcissism. The world is after all out to get you.
But Google Alerts are special. They allow you to instruct Google’s search spiders to find any mention of your name in web news or blogs and then report to you along with a link to the mention in question, every morning.
On the one hand, it’s oddly satisfying that people are talking about you. On the other hand, people are talking about you¾behind your back.
And you caught them!
Just as, when I post this, Roger will catch me.
Hi Roger, how’s tricks?
America, ya gotta love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jer- you could at least print what Stone's comment was.

Funny Guy on the Prowl said...

You're right (I shouldn't make you go search for it) Roger's comment was quite genteel. It was
"Jer-
Thanks for spelling my name right.
be happy to mix it up with you on the air anytime.

Cordially
Roger Stone"

Naturally I'd never have him on the air with me. He'd eat me alive...