Friday, July 13, 2007

#557 Polester

So the other day I’m driving down the street and I see this sign posted in the window of a dance studio.
It says, “Pole Dancing Lessons.”
I was stunned.
I mean, this has got to be a bit of a niche marketing campaign. How many ordinary folks are going to decide they want to look like that G.I. Jane woman married to that “That 70s Show” guy?
Is that the reasoning? Women who want to attract the likes of Ashton Kutcher and this is how to do it?
The truth is, if I was on a first date with a woman and went to her house and there was a pole in it, I’m thinking I’d be thinking: run for your life.
Or if we were at a dance club and my date started doing gyrations that appeared to indicate that she was going to start spinning around poles and such, I’m not sure there would be a date 2.
God forbid we should accidentally wander near the tetherball section of a playground while she was feeling a little demonstrative.
And I don’t know what I would do if I was married and my wife came home and asked where we could install a pole for practicing her new dance lessons. What would we tell the kids?
Billy, Susie, run upstairs, Mom’s going to be doing her, um, aerobics.
I figure pole dancing lessons would attract a fairly specialized customer base. So maybe I got it all wrong.
Maybe it’s my problem in assuming.
Maybe it’s not pole as in stripper people at all, maybe it’s pole as in people from Poland.
And Pole dancing is Polish folk dancing. People twirling around scarves and stomping on kielbasas and things. A little oom pah pah in the background, if you know what I mean.
I was telling all this to my son and he said he’d actually heard that pole dancing was catching on. In fact, everyone claimed it was quite a good workout.
“Yeah,” I said, “and lots of people claim to read Playboy for the articles…”
America ya gotta love it

No comments: