Tuesday, February 01, 2011

1423 Fifth Degree

Recently I came back from a short vacation. In some ways I regretted taking it. I think it’s all about preserving momentum. You know, once you get the ball rolling, it’s easy to keep it rolling. But once it’s stopped, it’s harder than heck to get it up to speed again.
It looks hard when you see one of those stage jugglers spinning six plates at once, but once they’re all there the plate spinner finds it’s just fine. It’s all a matter of degree.
All a matter of degree. I was reminded of that the other day when I read an article about this Pakistani man. Seems he was publicly beaten by two of his three wives.
Now I can imagine how things may get a little tense in a polygamous marriage. If only because it gets exponentially more difficult to remember anniversaries and birthdays.
Thank Allah for Valentines Day. At least you can roll a bunch of card buying into one trip to the Islamabad Hallmark.
But public beatings by a portion of your wives seems excessive even by Pakistani standards. Still, they had what they felt was a justifiable reason. They accused him of having a secret fourth wife and planning to marry a fifth.
It’s all a matter of degree.
The man himself proclaims his innocence and says he’s willing to swear on his life he only has three wives. Well sure, I don’t why your first three don’t believe you. Why would they suspect a man who has three wives of harboring any desire not to stick to his multiple vows of fidelity?
And marrying a fifth? Introvert that I am, if I had four wives, I’d go through a fifth a day.
And never go home on vacation.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: