Friday, March 20, 2009

#971 Lying Cable

I had to call my cable company because of a malfunction in their equipment. Funny, they have no problem charging you to the last second on your usage. But if something goes out, do they ever send you a credit for your downtime?
Not long ago they upped my bill from my startup deal. They upped it mid-cycle so I get this extra bill for 2 weeks.
Lying cable.
Why does that sound so nasty?
I’m guessing I’m not alone in this bait and flip the switch deal and my evidence for that is their supposed attempts to look after customer service. When you call up their help line, nearly the first thing you hear is “In order to provide better customer service, this call may be monitored.”
You think, how nice, they’re eavesdropping to make sure they’re keeping their employees on the ball.
More on that later.
This time I got a really friendly women who tried the various things they try, pinging my modem, checking the lines, etc. She finally concludes we need to reboot my modem. And here’s where the dilemma emerges. My phone also comes through my cable system.
So how do I keep this nice customer service rep on the line? I want to, too. She’s been very helpful. For all their supposed monitoring, I’ve got some pretty rude service reps in the past.
Anyhow, she says since my phone’s through my modem I’m going to lose her when we reboot. “If your problems continue just call back.”
“Do you have an extension?” I ask, “I don’t want to go through all the same rigmarole with a new person.”
“Can’t do that,” she says.
“Can you call me back?” I ask.
“I can’t do that,” she says.
So much for customer service. Ahah, I thinks, now the monitoring makes more sense. They aren’t monitoring their employees. They’re monitoring the angry customers they’ve created with their frustrating, interrupted service and bait and switch tactics.
I’m guessing the only reason for this semi-anonymity is someone or someones must have chewed Comcast employees a new cable outlet in the past.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: