Thursday, March 13, 2008

#716 Attributes

I was having a conversation with my friend Bobby about the hiccup controversy and he said, “You know, that’s where the term cowboy-up comes from. It was originally hick-up.”
I get it. Cowboy-up without the hat. A just plain hiccup.
So I was thinking about cowboys and cowgirls on my way to the restroom, and that got me thinking about restroom designations using those names. Like in Mexican restaurants where they say Senor and Senorita.
Some places it gets totally confusing. I was in a plumbing supply house and the doors said, “Inside” and “Outside.”
I wasn’t sure if it was the bathroom or an exit.
Anyhow, that got me thinking about the international restroom signs. I remember when they first came out. I thought the handicapped one, where the silhouette individual is sitting down, was the one for females. It made sense. At that point I had only seen that one and the standing up silhouette figure.
I call the international silhouette figures Peds by the way. Because they’re like the ones on signs that say Ped Crossing.
I finally saw what I presume was the female Ped on what I assumed were the female facilities. I deduced that because it appeared to have on a skirt.
Naturally, I thought that was sexist as hell. Sex isn’t about clothing. Why should a man’s silhouette be depicted wearing only pants and a female’s only skirts?
And not a very fashionable skirt at that. A simple wedgelike number. For the most part a shapeless smock. Which, if you asked me, made the Ped-ette look a little fat.
So why should a skirt be the crucial difference? Give the Peds feet and put hers in high heels. Give the Ped guy a bulge for a beer gut.
I mean, if we’re talking average silhouette attributes...
Because what about guys that do wear dresses? What about Scots in kilts and Bedouins in robes?
These are international signs right?
It’s not much of a stretch to suppose the female silhouette looks like a guy wearing short chaps.
It’s only a matter of time before some hick up from the tullies saunters into the wrong outhouse...
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: