Friday, August 03, 2007

#572 Polaroid

Some things don’t fit. Sometimes it’s just because they don’t fit anymore.
The other day I was telling someone about a joke. At the end, the guy didn’t get it. So I called it a Polaroid joke because it was one of those that takes a while to develop. All us comics on the circuit used to call them that 20 years ago.
The young person I was telling it to looked even more blank.
At first I thought it was because it was a Polaroid joke that it was a Polaroid joke. Then I realized it was because he totally missed the cultural reference.
I was the idiot.
Why would a young person know about Polaroid cameras here in the digital revolution? With snapshot cellphones and megapixel cameras you can download and print on your computer, who the heck needs a Polarioid?
These days Polaroid cameras are about as incongruous as typewriter correcto-ribbon.
If anything, Polaroid sounds like some new sub-zero removal technique for hemorrhoids.
Or possibly frozen steroid supplements.
Or that swollen hole in the ozone layer in Antarctica.
I wished I had a Polaroid the other day though. This business I know is installing a security system. Cameras and all that. I thought it was a good idea.
Till I saw the van the security company had parked outside and two of the security installer people with wire snippers and wires and stuff in their hands.
The disconcerting thing was, one of the security people had on a bright orange t-shirt. Prison orange I think you call it.
And the T-shirt had these words on it: Psych Ward.
With numbers underneath it that proclaimed inmate status therein.
Sometimes I think companies ought to have a dress code. That’s what putting personnel in uniforms is all about. Instill a sense of confidence in your clients by looking neat and professional.
And, not incidentally, heading off inappropriate fashion choices that show that sometimes, some people, for some reason, just don’t have clue.
Let’s see, I work for a “security” company. I think I’ll wear my psych ward T-shirt today.
Crazy, dude.
America ya gotta love it

No comments: