Thursday, February 01, 2007

#443 Friendly Folks

I’m a little bit cranky. Ever since I got back from Mexico, my bed has been unmade. I don’t get it. I’ve been leaving 2 dollars on my pillow every day when I leave the house. It always worked at the place I stayed in Mexico. Oh well. Another thing that’s different: My tan. It’s fading. It was so nice too. I was in Mexico the week it snowed up here. 80-degree weather while my neighbors were enjoying 21 and less. It was pretty cool coming back to that lovely white snow. As if the whole world had been accessorized to complement my tan. There was actually a change in the weather down in Cabo. And it wasn’t just our disposition. Though it did seem the Mexican people wanted to guess the weather of your soul by the looks on your faces. Maybe it’s just the timeshare salespeople looking for an opening to initiate a conversation. They know that if they can at least start a conversation the chance of closing a sale is that much greater than if the prospect completely ignores them. So they’re always throwing out assertions to hook you. “Hey Senor, you guys look so romantic, would you like to talk about a condo?” “I’d like to,” I’d reply, “but she’s actually my lawyer.” This one lady that actually did sell us on going to a timeshare presentation started off her schpiel with an interesting observation. She looked at my companion and said: “She looks beautiful, and very happy.” Then she turned to me and said, “...and Senor looks very tired.” I’m not sure what that meant. Another day we were walking on the marina and this hawker calls out, “Hey you guys, are you married?” I called back, “Why, do we look unhappy?...” They seemed to want to put every one in a certain emotional weather forecast. “Hey lady,” one of them said to my companion. “Would you and your husband like a free trip?” My friend looked at me and I intervened. “I don’t know,” I told the guy, “I suppose we could call her husband and ask...” Poor hawkers, I heard a couple of them muttering, “Americano Funny Guy...” But the weather down there did surprise me in one way. Or not really a surprise I guess. I was raised in the desert and it’s definitely desert down there. There was an area around our hotel that was all sand and crushed rock. Everyday when I would walk by it would be pristine and freshly raked, like a Japanese garden. One night it rained. Everyone was amazed. Of the two days a winter it rains in Cabo, we were there for one of them. The next morning when I walked by the sandy area it was nearly a carpet of green. Desert weeds had sprouted in the night, as desert plants will do, taking advantage of the moisture opportunity. And it was funny, cause it must have confused all the groundskeepers at the hotel into thinking they were housekeepers or something. They kept talking about bedclothes. Not pillowcases or comforters either. They just kept saying sheet...sheet…
America ya gotta love it.

No comments: