Friday, January 27, 2006

#214 Bluehawk Enabled

As I was watching one of the Seahawk games, against the people they beat who I forget now, a couple of observations occurred to me. First, the new Seahawk colors are a lot more menacing than the old ones. Kind of put you in mind of the Raiders or the Steelers. Very piratical and industrial razor edge mean. Gone are the old navy and teal, now it’s steel blue and battleship gray. Very effective. It helps in the psychological football trenches to look like the baddest dude on the line. And with the loud stadium and the slate gray sky pouring down rain, there’s nothing like a team decked out in tattoo blue to make you want to turn tail and run back to the other Washington. Or wherever…
I noticed too, that the commercials are definitely ramping up for the Superbowl. I got confused over who was the official beer sponsor. I think Coors is the official beer sponsor of the NFL but Budweiser is the official beer sponsor of the Superbowl. I want to get it straight. At my living room tailgate parties I always obsess about having the “official” beer present. Lord knows what kind of social pariah I could turn out to be if I didn’t serve an official beer with my crockpot meatballs and hearty chili—which recipe I got, by the way, from one of the Martha Stewart wannabe divas on the food channel. Seriously, this gal was decked out in a beautiful fall ensemble with matching apron, in a perfectly feng shui-d spotless kitchen, teaching all and sundry how to make tailgate chili. I don’t think this lady had ever been in a truck much less the parking lot of a football stadium
I couldn’t help but notice during the game that every time the cameraman did a close-up of the coaches’ faces that: One, the microphones in front of their face attached to their headset were made big enough so they could be very clearly marked with the name of the company that made the unit. Motorola, I believe one of them said. And secondly, that the coaches would hold a piece of paper up to their faces whilst communicating with their coordinators up in the booth, I guess to prevent the other team monitoring the TV broadcast from reading their lips. So two things: Wouldn’t it be simpler to get some old time techie to figure out a way to tune in the coaches radio frequency, thereby making it possible to simply eavesdrop on the plans for the next play? I mean, lip readers gotta be hard to find. And secondly, if I was Motorola I’d pitch an even bigger microphone in the next set of headsets I sold to the NFL. The microphone would completely cover the coaches’ lips so they wouldn’t have to use a piece of paper and there’d be room for not only their company logo, but a short position statement as well. Like: Motorola, Official microphone of the NFL.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: