Thursday, August 18, 2005

#86 Rude 2

Just so you have some background here. I’ve raised kids. Three to be exact. And for a lot of the time I was a single dad of one of them. I realize how hard it is to juggle schedules. I realize how tough it is to shift from the exigencies of work to the necessities of parenting. I’ve railed like everyone about the inconveniences thrust upon us by our school system. Which starts its day too late and ends it too early to be the cheap daycare they always complain that they are not anyhow. Who schedule half days during conference weeks, ostensibly so parents can come in conveniently. The reality is, it’s even more inconvenient to come in during work hours, regular jobs not be as time flexible as the teaching profession. How about if the teachers stayed late one week a trimester? And who can forget planning days, those little extra days off that slip in every now and then for no apparent reason. I have yet to have a job in my entire 40 years of working that gave me a day off the routine for “planning.” Much less two and a half months off every summer. Or even two and half months every summer to pursue my continuing education credits. Any continuing education I’ve been able to get has been early in the morning, late at night, and on weekends.
So I understand how hard it is to be a parent and how hard it is to attend everything your kid is involved in at school. Sometimes it just doesn’t seem possible to be everywhere and do everything that each of your kids needs. So you have to prioritize. What’s more important, this basketball game or that band concert? This awards ceremony or that tennis match? My basic strategy is, rarity wins. If one of my kids has four more basketball games this season and the other one has a once a year recognition ceremony, the once a year thing wins.
So that’s why I was irritated as hell last night at a baccalaureate ceremony I went to. Baccalaureate ceremonies happen once in your kid’s entire 12 years. And the high school seniors were there putting it on the line showcasing their talents. Music, singing, fluting, drumming, you name it. Every person in the place was attentive and warm and supportive. Except one. One had to ruin it for all the rest. Minority ruled. Cause one person brought a squalling kid. A squalling kid is worse than a rude cellphone, because you can’t turn them off. There’s no mute button. And duct tape just isn’t considered socially appropriate any more. I have and will have no sympathy for these people. Find a sitter or stay home. You have no right to ruin an entire evening for everyone else. Or even to force people to be understanding. You have no excuses. It is the epitome of selfishness to proclaim that because you want to see your kid you will ruin the experience for every other kid and parent. Why? Because you couldn’t get a sitter. I’m thinking the speakers at the baccalaureate, who were telling the kids about the meaning of life, should have added: Oh, and by the way, the world is full of selfish idiots.
America, ya gotta love it.

No comments: